CITGO Lemont Refinery Honored as Grand Marshal at Romeoville Founder’s Day
Nov 17, 2016
LEMONT, Ill. – Nov. 17, 2016 – In honor of the CITGO Lemont Refinery’s 90th Anniversary, employees were asked to serve as this year’s Grand Marshal for the annual Founder’s Day Parade in Romeoville, Ill. In addition to walking in the parade, volunteers from the refinery, known as TeamCITGO, passed out commemorative CITGO sunglasses to the crowd along the parade route. The Refinery Fire Department also joined the festivities by entering a fire truck into the parade, which followed the CITGO float.
Stepping off from Belmont and Newland, this year’s Beach Party themed parade brought together over 60 community organizations, marching bands, and elected officials.
The refinery received official recognition as Grand Marshal at the October village board meeting where Mayor John Noak formally congratulated the CITGO Lemont Refinery on their 90th anniversary and thanked the company for their investment in the community.
“Our commitment to making a positive impact in the communities where we operate has always been a hallmark of CITGO operations,” said Jim Cristman, vice president and general manager of the CITGO Lemont Refinery.
“We consider it a privilege to take part in a local tradition like the Founder’s Day Parade as this year’s Grand Marshal. It’s truly an honor for our company and its employees to be recognized in this manner,” he added.
About the CITGO Lemont Refinery
For over 90 years, CITGO Lemont Refinery has employed more than 750 Chicago area residents on a full-time and contract basis in support of the local economy. In addition to producing high quality fuels for a large portion of the network of nearly 5,500 locally owned CITGO stations across the country, Lemont Refinery employees also make a major positive impact on the community. Each year, more than 2,500 volunteer hours and thousands of dollars are given in support of community programs such as Muscular Dystrophy Association, United Way and a variety of environmental and preservation programs. Operations at the Lemont Refinery began in 1925 with a major expansion, doubling the facility, in 1933. Over the years, new units were added to meet the demand for a better quality of gas for automobiles, aviation fuel for WWII, and the production of asphalt. Petróleos de Venezuela, PDVSA, acquired 100% ownership of the refinery in 1997 and began operations as CITGO Lemont Refinery. For more information, visit www.citgorefining.com/Lemont.
CITGO, based in Houston, is a refiner, transporter and marketer of transportation fuels, lubricants, petrochemicals and other industrial products. The company is owned by CITGO Holding, Inc., an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A., the national oil company of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela. For more information, visit www.CITGO.com.
For further information: Fernando Garay, 832-486-1489, firstname.lastname@example.org