CITGO Continues Restoration Work in the Lemont Quarries
Jun 8, 2017
LEMONT, Ill. June 8, 2017 — CITGO volunteers and community leaders came together in Lemont to continue the project of removing invasive species and the replanting of native seeds in the Heritage Quarries Recreation Area (HQRA).
Volunteers worked on three highly visible locations---approximately 3.5 acres of natural area. Under the direction of The Conservation Foundation, workers trimmed trees and removed invasive brush, and planted native seeds, trees and plugs.
The CITGO Lemont Refinery has been funding semiannual projects within the area since the fall of 2014 as a part of the CITGO Caring for Our Coast initiative.
“CITGO has a longstanding commitment to environmental stewardship; therefore, we are dedicated to enhancing the communities we serve by conserving and protecting natural habitats,” said Jim Cristman, Vice President of CITGO Lemont Refinery.
Through ecological conservation and restoration, the ultimate goal is to restore the HQRA so that residents can continue to enjoy the recreational grounds. Located just half a mile east of downtown Lemont, the HQRA is situated among thousands of acres of forest preserves, including more than 65 miles of hiking and biking trails, as well as access to fishing and boating along the I & M Canal and the Consumers, Great Lakes and Icebox Quarries.
About the CITGO Lemont Refinery
For over 90 years, CITGO Lemont Refinery has employed more than 750 Chicago area residents on a full-time and contract basis in support of the local economy. In addition to producing high-quality fuels for a large portion of the network of nearly 5,500 locally-owned CITGO stations across the country, Lemont Refinery employees also make a major positive impact on the community. Each year, more than 2,500 volunteer hours and thousands of dollars are given in support of community programs such as Muscular Dystrophy Association, United Way and a variety of environmental and preservation programs. Operations at the Lemont Refinery began in 1925 with a major expansion, doubling the facility, in 1933. Over the years, new units were added to meet the demand for a better quality of gas for automobiles, aviation fuel for WWII, and the production of asphalt. Petróleos de Venezuela, PDVSA, acquired 100% ownership of the refinery in 1997 and began operations as CITGO Lemont Refinery. For more information, visit www.citgoLemont.com.
CITGO, based in Houston, is a refiner, transporter and marketer of transportation fuels, lubricants, petrochemicals and other industrial products. The company is owned by CITGO Holding, Inc., an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A., the national oil company of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela. For more information, visit www.CITGO.com.
For further information: firstname.lastname@example.org 832-486-5250